On September 8th the Utah DEQ approved changes to the Utah UST rules to satisfy the new/additional requirements outlined in the updates to 40CFR280 last year. These changes are now submitted for publication and public comment.
A comment session on the changes made will be held Monday, October 17, 2016 at the Utah DEQ, Multi-Agency State Office Building, Room 1015, 195 North 1950 West, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Some of the changes put forward include:
- Secondary containment required for all new tanks, piping, and dispensers
- testing of spill prevention equipment, overfill prevention devices, and containment sumps used for interstitial monitoring
- Periodic operation and maintenance walkthrough inspections.
- Annual testing/inspection of electronic and mechanical release detection components
- New secondary containment requirements will apply to installations/replacements on or after January 1, 2017
- Leak detection now required for emergency generator tanks
- Full regulation of airport hydrant systems and field-constructed tanks
More details including a summary of the changes can be found here.
In addition you can always stay on top of the latest industry and regulatory news by subscribing to our newsletter.