Today we are announcing our plans for supporting Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8. When we analyze which browsers to support, our number one goal is customer satisfaction and security. With that said we will no longer be supporting Internet Explorer 6 and 7, and will phase out support for IE8 in spring of 2015.
Here are the key factors that lead us to this decision:
- Internet Explorer 6 is no longer supported by Microsoft
- Microsoft has already stopped major support for IE7 and IE8 for most operating systems
- Microsoft has announced that it will drop all support for Internet Explorer 7 and 8 in January 2015
- IE6, IE7, and IE8 are not HTML5 compatible. These browsers do not support the technologies our customers have come to expect like being mobile friendly and supporting rich media like audio and video without 3rd party plugins
- Older versions of Internet Explorer are less secure. Over the years, multiple vulnerabilities in these browsers have been discovered
- The majority of our customers are moving to newer browsers. Less than 2% of our customers use IE7 and less than 10% are using IE8
Here are some options:
We plan to continue to support Internet Explorer 9 and above for the foreseeable feature since these browsers are modern, support HTML5, and are fully supported by Microsoft.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to reach out to me – email@example.com.